NJ SHARES provides energy assistance to moderate and fixed-income households experiencing a financial crisis.
Eligibility is based on household size and income. Our clients are families and individuals who do not qualify for Federal and State assistance programs due to the household’s income. NJ SHARES Grant amounts can be up to $700 for heating source (gas and electric heat), and can be up to $500 for electric service. Grants must result in continuance and/or restoration of service. Applicants must demonstrate a temporary financial need and a history of good-faith payments to their energy provider.
- Reside in New Jersey
- Be experiencing a financial crisis, such as a job loss or illness
- Be behind on their energy bill
- Have income over the limit for Federal programs such as the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and state programs such as the Universal Service Fund (USF).
- Have an income level that does not exceed 400% of the Federal Poverty Level
- Have made a good-faith payment of $100 or more within 90 days of applying for NJ SHARES
Guidelines for Seniors and the Disabled:
- Applicants 65 years of age or older, with households of one or two members, will be eligible for NJ SHARES if the maximum household income is $80,000 annually or $6,666 monthly. Proof of age is required.
- Applicants receiving Federal Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits, with households of one or two members, will be eligible for NJ SHARES if the maximum household income is $80,000 annually or $6,666 monthly. Applicants must show proof of Federal SSD benefit.
Required Documentation for NJ SHARES applications:
- Documents should be furnished to the intake agency at time of application.
- Proof of Income (last four consecutive weeks prior to application date)
- Proof of Identification
- Most Recent Energy Bill
- Signed Application
- TRUE/PAGE Denial letter
Click here to identify an intake agency in your area or call the toll free energy assistance hotline (1-866 - NJSHARES).