NJ SHARES MISSION
New Jersey SHARES, Inc. is a statewide non-profit corporation providing assistance
to individuals and families in need of help meeting their energy and utility burden.
Through assistance, advocacy, community outreach, education, information and referral,
we connect low and moderate income households with available resources.
NJ SHARES' 2013 ANNUAL REPORT HIGHLIGHTS:
- Since its inception in 1998, NJ SHARES has assisted more than 177,500 households with $70.7 Million in energy assistance.
- The NJ SHARES' network of 240 community partners, operate 300 service access locations.
- Participating in 303 events and conducting 477 energy education trainings this year builds awareness and education while linking agencies and clients with vital programs.
NJ SHARES' RECIPIENTS WERE LIKELY TO HAVE VULNERABLE HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS.
- 52% had a child 18 or younger in the home.
- 19% had a household member over 60 years old.
MOST OF NJ SHARES' GRANT RECIPIENTS WERE THE WORKING POOR.
- 80% had employment income. 58% had income between 200% and 300% of the Federal Poverty Level.
NJ SHARES SERVED THOSE HIT BY RECESSION.
- 11% reported unemployment compensation.
- 9% reported unemployment as reason for grant application.
NJ SHARES REQUIRES THAT CUSTOMERS MAKE A GOOD FAITH PAYMENT TOWARD THEIR UTILITY BALANCE IN THE 90 DAYS PRIOR TO GRANT RECEIPT.
- 69% had payments totaling $250 or more in the 90 days prior to grant receipt.
NJ SHARES' GRANT IMPACT ONE YEAR LATER: DESPITE THE LARGE PAYMENT RESPONSIBILITY RECIPIENTS FACED AFTER RECEIVING THEIR GRANTS, MANY WERE SUCCESSFUL IN MEETING THEIR BILL OBLIGATIONS.
- 85% was the average percentage of their current bills that recipients paid.
- 39% of recipients paid 100% or more of the amount they were asked to pay.
Tax deductible donations to NJ SHARES may be made online by clicking here.
View prior NJ SHARES Annual Reports in PDF Format.
2012 NJ SHARES Annual Report
2011 NJ SHARES Annual Report
2010 NJ SHARES Annual Report
2009 NJ SHARES Annual Report
2008 NJ SHARES Annual Report